Person who lost or gave up Australian citizenship

You may be eligible to become an Australian citizen again if you lost your citizenship because of acquiring the citizenship of another country, or renounced or gave up your Australian citizenship.

If you had children under 18 years at the time you lost your Australian citizenship they may also have lost their Australian citizenship, unless their other parent was an Australian citizen at the time. Children under 16 can be included in your resumption application. Children 16 years and over must apply for resumption in their own right.

Your Australian citizenship options

People who are eligible to resume their citizenship apply using Form 132 Application to resume Australian citizenship (223KB PDF file).

Find out how to apply to resume your Australian citizenship.

You apply on a paper application form

Requirements for applications lodged overseas

You should contact your nearest immigration office outside Australia or see their website for more information before lodging your application because:

  • you may be required to attend an appointment and present original documents as part of your application process
  • some posts only accept certain currencies for fee payments with your application
  • some posts will ask you to bring in your original documents and will certify copies for you to attach to your application
  • some posts may only accept copies certified by an Australian citizen in your country of residence
  • some posts may also accept copies certified by a citizen of your country of residence if no Australian is known to you
  • some posts may direct you to their preferred third party for document certification.

Last modified Saturday 18 April 2015