Before you start
To apply for Australian citizenship you will need to:
- meet the eligibility requirements
- be of good character if you are 18 years of age or over
- be likely to reside, or to continue to reside, in Australia or to maintain a close and continuing association with Australia.
You will need to apply on a paper application if you:
- are applying for a fee concession or exemption, or
- are part of the Australian Defence Force, or
- are a stateless person, or
- do not have a passport, or
- have not travelled in and out of Australia since July 1990.
Guidelines on attaching documents, technical information and answers to frequently asked questions are available at Online applications.
What documents you need
After you lodge your online application, you will be prompted to attach documents to:
- prove your identity
- establish that you are of good character
- support your application, as required.
Use this checklist as a guide to the original documents that are usually required.
After you attach all of the required documents, we will invite you to an appointment where you will sit the citizenship test.
At your appointment you must bring your:
Start your online application
If you are aged between 18 and 59 years, think that you meet the eligibility requirements, and have all of the required documents, you can start your online application.