Application fees, forms and appeals

Click on the relevant topic below for more information.


The cost of your application will vary according to your eligibility and which form you need to use. In some cases you may be able to apply for a fee concession or exemption.

Credit card is the preferred method of payment. More information on how to pay for an application and related surcharges is available.

If you are outside Australia and applying for Australian citizenship by descent or adoption, contact your nearest Immigration office outside Australia or check their website for acceptable methods of payments.

Form Type of Application Fee
Form 1300t Australian citizenship – General eligibility (required to sit test) $260
Concession fee
See Fee exemptions and concessions below.
Child under 16 years applying on the same form as a parent Nil
Form 1290 Australian citizenship– Other situations (not required to sit test) $130
Concession fee
See Fee exemptions and concessions below.
Child under 16 years applying on the same form as a parent Nil
Form 119 Evidence of Australian citizenship $60
Form 132 Resumption of Australian citizenship $70
Form 118 Australian citizenship by descent $120
Second and subsequent siblings applying at the same time $95
Form 1272 Adoption under full Hague Convention or bilateral arrangements $120
Second and subsequent siblings applying at the same time $95
Form 128 Renunciation of Australian citizenship $285

Fee exemptions and concessions

Fee exemptions and concessions are only available for some applications for Australian citizenship (Form 1300t and Form 1290) and as follows:

Type of exemption/concession Fee
British and Maltese former child migrants who came to Australia without their parents between 22 September 1947 and 31 December 1967 under the Commonwealth Child Migration Scheme.

You will require a letter from the Child Migrants Trust confirming details of your arrival and sponsorship. Submit this letter with your application.
Persons who have served with the Australian Defence Force for a period of 90 days or more; or have completed 90 days or more National Service before 26 November 1964.

You will require official evidence of your service in the permanent forces of the Commonwealth of Australia. This evidence should be lodged with the application.

Holders of a Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) or Health Care Card (HCC) with a code or payment as listed below.

To receive the concession, you must provide a copy of your card showing a code or pension as listed below with your citizenship application.

Department of Human Services (Centrelink)

  • A Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) with the code AGE, CAR, DSP, NS, PA, PPP, SA, SL WA, WFA, WFD, WFW, WID or YAL, or
  • A PCC with the code PPS, and you are aged 60* and over and evidence that you have been in receipt of PPS payment for nine months or more, or
  • A Health Care Card (HCC) with the code PA, SA, or WA, or
  • A HCC with the code SL and evidence you have received the SL benefit for at least 46 of the previous 52 weeks.

Note: If you have a concession card with a code that is not listed above, you are not eligible for a fee concession. For example, a code PP endorsed on a HCC is not a qualifying code for a fee concession.

* The age and income support period requirements ensure that PPS and PPP recipients have equal access to the citizenship concession fee. PPP recipients must meet the age and income support period requirements before qualifying for a Pensioner Concession Card.

Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA)

A DVA Pensioner Concession Card for one of the following pensions:

  • Age Service Pension
  • Age Pension (code AGE)
  • Invalidity Service Pension
  • Income Support Supplement
  • Partner Service Pension.
(Form 1300t)


(Form 1290)

Printable information on Form 1298i - Citizenship Fees (120KB PDF) is available.


You can apply online for some citizenship application types.

All citizenship paper application forms are available as PDF files for printing.


If your application is refused you have the right to ask for the decision to be reviewed by the Administrative Appeals Tribunal. Your letter of notification will advise you where you can lodge your application for review and the time limits for applying.

Last modified Friday 08 May 2015